SC - Semi-Rant Re: MMMM, good holiday food!

Par Leijonhufvud pkl at absaroka.obgyn.ks.se
Mon Dec 29 23:23:33 PST 1997

John and Barbara Enloe wrote:

> Just a quick addendum -- Please Do Not Use Bleach -- It Does Leave A
> taste
> In the Bottle.
>
>                   Jon

I actually will ue nothing but bleach in my bottles.  Given copious
quantities of hot water and a jet bottle washer, the only unusual taste
in the bottle is my meads.  Other sanitizers I've found dicey.  Bleach
at 1/4 c. per 5 gallons (WAY strong) is good for what ails you after a
15 min soak, my most reliable sanitizer......the most popular in food
preps nation- wide.

Iodizer can be okay, but will not loosen the crusty bits like sodium
hypochlorite (bleach).
Washing soda is the absolute BOMB on labels.  1/2 cup in 20 gallons will
have most of the labels floating on the surface overnight.

niccolo