SC - menu, 1571-longish

margali margali at 99main.com
Tue Dec 30 04:40:24 PST 1997

On Mon, 29 Dec 1997, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> > The fish is ling, actually, but that is a small difference.
>
> Yep. The problem is that ling is one of those fish which have different
> names depending on which market they are being sold in, or which side of
> the Atlantic you're on. While I have caught fish called "ling" in waters

> They appear magically to be transformed into any of several different
> kinds of hake. Same fish, different name. However, most of the bacalao
> or salt cod that you see in markets is also made from the same hake, so

AFAIK they are all related. With the new EC food-labelling laws I can
check the latin name for the ling next time I'm shopping (they have to
put the latin name of fish on the packet, most likely to
prev^H^H^H^Hdeter the kind of transubstanciation that you have noted).

> > A fairly good description of  surstr"omming (umlauts on the o). Yes, the
> > cans tend to rather roundish at times.
>
> I hear the aroma is something of a challenge, when you first open the
> can, but that it dissipates and ends up smelling fairly good. Ever open
> up a less-than-strictly-fresh, factory-sealed packet of ground veal? Now
> there's a stench to make Poseidon's armpit seem floral by comparison.

There is a story of some disgruntled (Swedish) UN-trooper who left a
carefully wrapped packet on Tel Avivs airport, containing two large cans
of surstr"oming. Airport security did what is usually done with suspect
packages; clear the area and shoot it... (FOF, possible but unverified).

> sight of my lady wife dismantling the head of the sea bass with
> chopsticks, so as to get at the best parts of the fish, in the most

Thats a technique I'd like to see!

> The seemingly huge amount of fat sometimes found in the Northern
> European diet stems from a time before central heating. Apparently there
> are statistics available for when houses in places like lowland
> Scotland, Scandinavia and Germany, suggesting that a rise in heart
> attacks was in more or less direct proportion to the increase in houses
> being built with some kind of central heating. In any case, the skin and

Not surprising. Fat is great if you work all day in the cold (giving you
a requirement of up to 10 000 kcal/day under extreme conditions). Do you
have any idea about the source for those statistics? I just looked in
Medline, but don't really feel like plowing through 521 hits...

> from. Mostly pig heads, though. Yes, visible eyeholes and lips. I doubt
> eating just a little of it would be too problematical, though: this was
> presumably served at a kalas (sp?) with quite a few other dishes?

During a medical conference one of the pharmaceuticals sponsored a
"viking feast" (yep, it was _almost_ as bad as it sounds; no jute sacks
or plastic horned helmets, thank Odin). The food was, AFAICT, of the
traditional Norwegian "country fare" type. There was a pile of the
"heads" on the buffet table, enticing me and revolting others :-)

Yes, you spell "kalas" that way.

> MMMMM, good holiday food! ***CANNED*** sheep's head! Yum!

Can't get it here, as far as I know. Pity. Wonder if they can the whole
thing, or just the meat and other good stuff (they eyes are reportedly
included).

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
PGP fingerprint = 76 3B 11 28 79 39 87 C0  DC 4C 1F 4C C0 1F 1E 89
/earth is 98% full. Please remove any excess inhabitants.