SC - Licorice Ice Cream--OOP

DianaFiona DianaFiona at aol.com
Tue Dec 30 13:56:06 PST 1997

During the relatively recent discussion of marrow sources,
Adamantius happened to mention a dish that I was fond of growing up.
Yep, the version I remember is modern (tomatoes or at least tomato
juice).

However, the concept would seem to fit well with some of the related
dishes that were mentioned. Sooooooo ....

Anybody have a pointer to a period / peri-oid recipe for Osso Bucco,
or perhaps a related dish incorporating braised shank portions?
(I'd like to see not only veal or lamb but also other shank,
Hough[s], hocks, etc...

===
Adieu -- Amra / Pax ... Kihe / TTFN -- Mike
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com

- ---Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> wrote:

> James L. Matterer wrote:
>
> >  Can anyone give me advice on the availability of marrow, or
what a good
> > substitute may be? The dish I'm re-creating is "A bake Mete
Ryalle" from
> > Austin's Two 15th c. Cookery-Books, p 55, which calls for
"cromyd Marow"
> > (crumbled marrow), as well as a "gobet of marow."
>
> Marrow is found inside certain large bones. For practical cookery
> purposes, the thing to get is a beef or veal shank bone. You can
get one
> from either a butcher shop or the supermarket butcher. This may
involve
> purchasing the actual shank (with the meat on it, in other words),
or
> the butcher may have stripped bones on hand. If he doesn't, see if
he
> has either veal shanks cut for osso bucco, or more commonly, the
cut of
> beef generally called "soup meat", which is just sliced beef
shank, bone
> and all. Beef shank meat is relatively inexpensive, and makes
wonderful
> stews.
>
> If you explain to the butcher (assuming he is reasonable, decent,
and
> has the time, all of which are partially contingent on how and
when you
> approach him) you may be able to get stripped beef or veal shank
bones,
> either for free, or some very nominal fee, and the butcher might
even be
> willing to segment or split the bones on a bandsaw for you, to
> facilitate removal of the marrow. (My experience has been that my
> butcher loves to get involved in any "crazy, harebrained scheme" I
care
> to propose, because he gets tired of weighing out hamburger all
day, and
> thrives on challenge.)
>
> If the bones are cut into short segments, you can go in with a
> thin-bladed knife to remove the marrow, or you can blanch the
bones in
> boiling water for a minute or two, which will loosen the marrow to
the
> point where it will slip out nicely. If the bone is split, you can
> pretty much go in with a spoon and scoop it out.
>
> As for a substitute, I suppose the closest would be beef or veal
suet,
> parboiled before using. The texture would be a bit different, and
the
> flavor not as rich, but the effect would be somewhat similar. Suet
would
> probably make a better substitute for the crumbled marrow than for
large
> chunks. I recommend grating it.
>
> Adamantius
SCA-Cooks".