SC - Fw: [Mid] Gifts and stuff

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Tue Dec 30 21:29:15 PST 1997

Dan Gillespie (Antoine) wrote:

> Just a quick question, out of curiosity...
>         Does anyone know of any period cooking sources from the Byzantine
> empire?  There is Apicius & the Greek originals that it is supposed based
> on, but is there anything later than that?

There is a 6th century letter on food health and correct eating for
kings by Anthimus, a Byzantine physician to Theoderic, King of the
Franks(circa 526). It has been translated by Shirley Howard Weber in her
dissertation, _Anthimus, De Observatio Ciborum: Text, Commentary, and
Glossary with a Study of the Latinity. A Dissertation..._ and published
by E. J. Brill Ltd., Leiden 1924. It's English translation with the
Latin on the facing pages; includes a glossary and index. There's a copy
in the Stanford University Library.

I recently saw another translation but do not remember the translator's
name. I think I saw it in Potboiler press, NY.

If anyone has another source for Byzantine cooking I would love to hear
about it. I wanted to do a Byzantine feast but could not find enough
material.

in service,
Crystal of the Westermark, AoA
(mka Crystal A. Isaac)