SC - Vodka in the Ferm. Lock

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Wed Dec 31 09:01:45 PST 1997

>I spent some time studying this one, since I was actually served an
>ice-cream at an event long ago. Ignorantly, I continued to believe it was
>period, simply because someone had included it in their menu!

<deleted>
>So no, it does not appear that Iced Cream was period. Does anyone have
>documentation for Sorbet?
>

>Aoife

The Microsoft Bookshelf places the origin of ice cream in Italy about
1559.  It reaches England in the 17th century and America in the 18th
century.  It was called "iced cream" in 1673 and is first mentioned as
"ice cream" by an American in 1744.  Of course, there's not a word about
where they referenced the information.

Just for fun, here's the entry on sherbet:

sher*bet (shur?bit) noun
1.	Also sher*bert (-burt?). A frozen dessert made primarily of fruit
juice, sugar, and water, and also containing milk, egg white, or
gelatin.
2.	Chiefly British. A beverage made of sweetened diluted fruit juice.
3.	Also sherbert. Australian. An alcoholic beverage, especially beer.
[Ottoman Turkish, sweet fruit drink, from Persian sharbat, from Arabic
?arbah, drink, from ?ariba, to drink.]
Word History: The word sherbet has been in the English language for
several centuries (first recorded in 1603) but not as a name for what
one normally thinks of as sherbet. The word came into English from
Ottoman Turkish sherbet or Persian sharbat, both going back to Arabic
?arbah, "drink." The Turkish and Persian words referred to a beverage of
sweetened, diluted fruit juice that was popular in the Middle East and
imitated in Europe. Eventually in Europe sherbet came to refer to a
carbonated drink. Because the original Middle Eastern drink contained
fruit and was often cooled with snow, sherbet was applied to the frozen
dessert (first recorded in 1891). It is thus distinguished slightly from
sorbet, which can also mean "a fruit-flavored ice served between courses
of a meal." Sorbet (first recorded in English in 1585) goes back through
French (sorbet) and then Italian (sorbetto) to the same Turkish sherbet
that gave us sherbet.

It's not much help, but it gives and idea of where to start looking.

Bear