SC - A Source Book

Wed Dec 31 10:55:29 PST 1997

Puck Wrote:
 As a steam snipe, I find it hard to believe a
concientious brewer could encounter temperature changes drastic enough to
change saturation pressures enough to create a vacuum.  I'm not saying
using spirits is bad, I'm just not yet convinced its so good.

feeling tenacious, contumacious and flirtatious, Puck

Well, not to mention that a "period practice" of halting fermentation is to
>Add Stronger Alcohol> to a batch. If your airlock does somehow, by
accident, empty into the vat, you have just upped the alcohol content, and
your yeasty beasties (Puck, you're contagious) will not be working quite so
well. In a big batch it might not effect the end results, but in a smaller
one, it definately will.

BTW, Puck, the best batch of plain ol' honey-mead Endless Hills ever brewed
was inadvertantly aided and abetted by a youngster (not mine, I swear it).
He dropped a green Sweet-Tart into the cooling 5-gallon batch in the carboy
as we all watched in horror from 5 feet away! It added that certain
je-ne-sais-qouis. The question remains, can anyone document Green
Sweet-Tarts? They appear to be the "secret ingredient" we've all been
searching for!

Pip-Pip

Aoife (Supressing the urge to call Puck "Cock-Robin")