SC - SC Feast n the law

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Dec 1 07:26:02 PST 1997

Decker, Terry D. wrote:

> >From a legal point of view, we are a non-profit entity and are not  (or
> >should not) be feeding people for money. We should be breaking even. Oh, what
> >webs we weave! :-0
> >
> >Ras
>
> We are not running a business.  We are recovering expenses and
> fund-raising to support our activities, which are permitted to
> non-profit organizations.  The law does recognize that no organization
> can continue to function at a net loss.
>
> Bear

The law also recognizes (at least in most US states; I'm not up on
international law in this area ;  P  ) the difference between non-profit
organizations and not-for-profit organizations. The SCA is defined as a
not-for-profit organization. We can earn profits, and justify them
against capital improvements and various expenses a little more easily
than an actual non-profit organization.

As for the question of whether we are selling food or feeding people for
money, I'd say we aren't. We are charging a fee to defray the expenses
of holding events, but that doesn't make us a food service. I think our
average event profits, and the uses to which they are put, make that
pretty clear.

On the other hand, I do think we should be prepared to act, when
necessary, as a food service, within the various restrictions imposed on
food services by law, since I feel that the legal trend is moving in
that direction. I don't want to discover, in a couple of years, that the
SCA pastime I love is illegal.  At the moment, though, our feasts are
legally on a par with a church pot-luck dinner, so far as I know.

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com