SC - beets

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Dec 2 15:04:33 PST 1997

<< There is a mention of both white & red, or Roman beets, clearly as a root
 vegetable in the 1633 edition of Gerard's Herbal; he says they're boiled &
 eaten with oil, vinegar & pepper. >>

Does he SPECIFICALLY mention bulbs or roots? Swiss Chard is the much older
form of beets dating back to pre-Roman times. It comes in a white stalked and
a red stalked variety. And, surprisingly, bears the exact same scientific
name as bulbous beets.

I have always used chard when beets are called for in early recipes and was
under the impression that these are what is meant by the word "betas". If the
use of bulbous beets before 1500 can be documented as consumed by humans, it
would be great. I would then have several redactions that I could rework and
a source for another relatively inexpensive  vegetable.

Any further information including quotes and sources would be most
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ras