SC - beets

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Wed Dec 3 08:51:56 PST 1997

<<
 Does he SPECIFICALLY mention bulbs or roots? Swiss Chard is the much older
 form of beets dating back to pre-Roman times. It comes in a white stalked
and
 a red stalked variety. And, surprisingly, bears the exact same scientific
 name as bulbous beets.

     Yes, he does! Both red roots and perhaps white, but the quote that you
were replying to seems to refer to the leaves to me, since after suggesting
serving the boiled red beets with oil, vinegar, and pepper as a salad, he
says:
     "....but what might be made of the red and beautifull root (which is to
be preferred before the leaves, as well in beautie as in goodnesse) I refer
unto the curious and cunning cooke, who no doubt when hee had the view
thereof, and is assured that it is both good and wholesome, will make thereof
many and divers dishes, both faire and good."

    He also says, if I understand him right, that this red variety was given
to him from "beyond the seas" by a merchant, and that it grew for him in 1596
to a height of 8 cubits.(!!! Isn't a cubit about 18 inches? That's HUGE!)
That it sounds like the red beets were not common in England at the time,
although if we could discover where the seeds Gerard was given came from we
could reasonably assume that they were used in that country. However, when
discussing the white beets, he doesn't specifically say that the roots were
eaten, but refers to them as "thicke, hard and great.", which sounds to me
like they might be large enough to eat. So it might be possible that the
*white* roots were consumed in England--they seemed to eat just about
anything else that wasn't posionous! ;-)

    Ldy Diana, who also wants to find documentation for a veggie she really
likes!