SC - Finishing the "Bull"

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sun Dec 7 08:23:42 PST 1997

Greetings!  Well, we have certainly made more-than-enough use of one
part of the bull.  Petits Propos Culinaires printed an article in 1987
entitled "Udder and Other Extremeties: Recipes from the Jews of Yemen"
by Barbara Kirshenblatt-Gimblett.  She included a recipe for udder and
one called "Geed" which I give you here.

Geed (penis of ox or bull)

500 grams penis               black pepper
1 tomato, chopped             cumin
1 onion chopped               saffron
cloves of garlic              salt
coriander

Scald the penis and clean it.  Boil 10 minutes, remove and slice.
Brown the onion, garlic, coriander in oil.  Add penis and fry.  Mix
(and add) chopped tomato, pepper, cumin, saffron and salt.  cover the
pot.  Cook over low flame 2 hours, adding a little water from time to
time to prevent burning.  Serve hot.  Season with hilbeh.

Hilbeh is a mixture of ground fenugreek seeds that have been soaked in
water for two hours, drained, mixed with tomato puree and a little zhuq
(a spicy mixture of ground black pepper,caraway seed, cardamom, dried
red peppers, garlic, and fresh coriander)."