SC - Clotted/Clowted Cream Method

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Wed Dec 10 07:28:34 PST 1997

>Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 19:01:22 -0600 (CST)
>From: jeffrey s heilveil <heilveil at students.uiuc.edu>
>Subject: Re: SC - SC-SHORT BREAD AS
>
>If someone wants to suggest a way of clotting cream, I would be happy to
>try it and tell you what it did.  then again, if someone has a better
>redaction of the above, I would be more than happy to use it.
>
>your servant,
>Bogdan din Brasov

Here's my method:

You need either 1 1/2 quarts of Day old from-the-Jersey-Cow (ie: high cream
content) Milk in a sauce pan, or you need a pint of heavy cream and a quart
of whole milk, mixed together briefly in a sauce pan (this works btter if
they are not perfectly fresh). Heat at the lowest possible burner setting,
NEVER letting it boil or even simmer. You may wish to turn it off and on if
your lowest heat is too high. It will develop a wrinkled, yellow skin on
top.  This could take a hour or more. The skin is good. Leave the skin alone
and heat without stirring. When the skin is pronouncedly wrinkled and thick,
remove the cream/milk from the burner. Let cool several hours or overnight,
very loosely covered if at all. With a spoon, carefully remove the cream
from the surface of the milk, and drain if needed. The lumps of cream are
called clotted cream. If you manage to get the skin off in one piece, you
have cabbage cream (it resembles a wrinkled cabbage leaf). Yield: a scant
pint of clotted cream, and a quart of milk suitable for cooking purposes.

HTH

Aoife