SC - OT - Omaha Steaks anomaly

Mike C. Baker kihe at rocketmail.com
Thu Dec 11 12:45:28 PST 1997

- ---Par Leijonhufvud <pkl at absaroka.obgyn.ks.se> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:
> > Ah...there it is. Under the recipe book, on top of the dry
> > ice pack. Hermetically sealed in vapor-proof plastic. The
> > ubiquitous AOL disk.
> > My question is this: are they a product of genetic engineering
> > in the beef industry? Do they just grow in the cows with the
> > AOL disks built in?
> To get back to something vaguely cooking related; the CD-ROM version
> (unformatable and therefore useless for normal purposes) look really
> pretty in a microwave-oven. Only do this for a second or so, and be
> prepared to some "burnt plastics" smell; use someone elses oven.
> /UlfR

Ah, but there *is* a non-emitting "foodways" use for the CD-ROM that
arrive and for which you have no other use: coasters for your table
service!

Just be certain to place them printed-side-down, instead of with the
garish and probably mis-matched advertising visible. Apply a thin
layer of protective clear membrane if you wish to preserve the
metallic coating for any length of time ... Handi-Wrap will do, if
the edges are gathered underneath and taped flat! (Adding a
reverse-loop of tape, sticky-side-out, will provide an anchor for
coasters used for meals in the galley of your watercraft, too...)

Alternatively, with a little ingenuity (and perhaps the addition of
a dowel, pencil, or the handle of a wooden spoon) an unwanted,
unloved CD-ROM can be used as a cost-free disposable blade for
cutting dough or pizza, sealing the edges of ravioli or -- yes, I
dare say it -- sealing and separating cuskynoles to the convenient
hand-sized portion!

<VBEG - but I can't take credit for the coaster concept myself; my
former housemate has been using a scrapped CD-ROM under her coffee
mug for a year or more...recently had to be replaced, as she was not
using the Handi-wrap tip>

===
Pax ... Kihe / Adieu -- Amra / TTFN -- Mike
Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard) /
(al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra  /
Mike C. Baker: My opinions are my own -- no one else would want them!
Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8661
Alt. e-mail: KiheBard at aol.com, MikeCBaker at aol.com