SC - to be truly period...

jeffrey s heilveil heilveil at students.uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 12 07:40:12 PST 1997

> On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>
> > That's all. (There is a group in NSW who decided that being accurate
> > meant sleeping on straw. Someone said people might be allergic to it. So
> > they discussed it, and decided people always had been allergic to it. But
> > they still used to sleep on it. So they would too. These people are
> > _very_ good reenactors. I don't think everybody wants to be that good. So
> > most people aren't. But we can all aspire to be a bit better)

I was reminded last night, during an exam, of another way that we can all
be a little more period.  During the 1500's the dominant way of getting
rid of agriculttural pests involved reliance on the church.  There was a
record in the church log of some bishop going out to a field infested with
Caterpillars and announcing that the Caterpillars had six days to leave
the field, or they would be excommunicated.  In the end, I think that they
were Jewish Caterpillars.  Then again, this same guy had a rooster burned
at the stake for laying an egg later that week.

Just for your... amusement, although it is true.

Bogdan

"The funniest jokes are entirely true."
- -Anon