SC - Re: Eggplant follow-up

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Wed Dec 17 18:10:31 PST 1997

Someone wrote:

> << setting
>  >fire on top. >>

Ras asked:

Adamantius said:
>Could be. Alternately (and this is my own personal interpretation) you
>could use the old fireplace-shovel, or equivalent, run across the top
>of the dish, with the coals in that. One of the things that leads me
>to question the Dutch-oven concept is simply the fact that I haven't
>seen anything like a casserole with a flanged cover among the various
>drawings, etc., of Islamic cooking utensils.

This technique, however, is used periodically in the Moorish
(Andalusian) recipes in Cariadoc's Collection.  If memory serves, the
pot's lid was placed on top and coals were put on top of that.  It
would sort of presume a flat lid, although one could probably use a
tripod arrangement with the pot below and a flat "plate" above, on the
tripod, with coals on the "plate".

Alys Katharine, wishing for a photographic memory