SC - novice requests - longish

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Dec 18 15:03:48 PST 1997

Puck asked about mead making and sources in general.

1. There is a mid-17th c. book, _The Closet of Sir Kenelm Digby, Opened_,
which is a gentleman's recipe collection, published posthumously in 1669.
This is a bit out of period but is the earliest large collection of
fermented drink recipes we know of. It has a whole lot of recipes for all
the kinds of meads and related drinks you can think of, ranging from small
meads ready in a few days to things that will take a year or so.  The
easiest way I know of to get it is to find someone in your area who has
Cariadoc's _Collection of Medieval and Renaissance Cookbooks_ vol. 1, which
includes that as well as other source material (i.e. not modern worked-up
versions) or order that collection from us (if I remember correctly $12 +
$2 postage).

2.  We have a book we call the Miscellany which has lots of worked-up
recipes and all the articles we have written of SCA interest. The
last-but-one edition is webbed at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/miscellany.html
The current (7th) edition is available from us; or again, someone in your
local SCA group may have a hard copy.  This does not have much mead-making
stuff (we have in it only one small mead recipe in it, our version of one
of Digby's), but you may find the various stuff in it interesting.

Elizabeth of Dendermonde/Betty Cook