SC - Lamb!!! (and kids)

Par Leijonhufvud pkl at absaroka.obgyn.ks.se
Thu Dec 18 21:42:46 PST 1997

On Fri, 19 Dec 1997, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> Somebody said
> 'hardly anyone eats lamb'
>
> Really? Australia 'lives on the sheep's back', so the Australian Sunday
> roast is lamb. (And the BBQ chops, and the roast rack of lamb, and the
> lamb rogan josh, and the kebabs, and the souvlaki)

A relative of mine moved, with kids, to Australia. She initially had a
problem: she knew lots of easy recipies for pork, that beeing the cheap
meat in Sweden, but not many for the more expensive lamb. In Australia
the situation was reversed, and it apparently took her a while before
she was able to cope with the new situation.

But yes, I've encountered this prejudice against lamb ("tastes like a
wool sweater"). At a recent feast we had a stew with "lamblike" spices.
(even though we used beef), and people refused it due to an aversion to
lamb...

> How does this compare around the globe (or even around others in australia?)

Lamb is slowly growing in popularity here in Sweden, but many still
don't like it. Generally untasted.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
PGP fingerprint = 76 3B 11 28 79 39 87 C0  DC 4C 1F 4C C0 1F 1E 89
/earth is 98% full. Please remove any excess inhabitants.