SC - pre-1500 cookery

Kathleen M Everitt kathe1 at juno.com
Fri Dec 19 04:01:35 PST 1997

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997 14:03:15 EST Tyrca <Tyrca at aol.com> writes:

>The answer might be in the fact that there are more cookbooks
>available the
>later one gets, and that the later ones are easier to read and redact
>than the
>earlier ones.  Comments anyone?
>
>Tyrca

Oh, definitely! Not only that, but they are easier (and cheaper) to get!
Falconwood Press has had a whole series of late period books available
for about $5.00 each at events for quite some time. Sallets, Humbles and
Shrewsberry Tarts and To the Queen's Taste were available mail order from
one of the book sellers (Barnes and Noble, maybe?) years ago. It's only
recently, since I went online that I've been able to get info on earlier
books and on a lot of the primary sources. I still don't have all of
them, but at least I'm now familiar with them and I have several sources
for obtaining them as soon as I come up with the money.

New cooks, without a mentor or net access, may not know what's out there.
I know when I started cooking in the SCA, I was told about Fabulous
Feasts and I came across an old copy of To the King's Taste. I had the
best Medieval Cooking library around! It was a long time before I found
out otherwise!

Julleran