SC - Semi-Rant Re: MMMM, good holiday food!

Par Leijonhufvud pkl at absaroka.obgyn.ks.se
Fri Dec 26 02:51:45 PST 1997

On Fri, 26 Dec 1997, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> The "cod soaked in caustic soda" is presumably a reference to lutefisk:

The fish is ling, actually, but that is a small difference.

> There are also dishes made from herring cured with half-quantities of
> salt, and stored in sealed cans, but not pasteurized or sterilized
> (surstromming?). There's some lacto-baccilic action there (the cans get
> kinda puffy, I understand). This is a variant of what we would call

A fairly good description of  surstr"omming (umlauts on the o). Yes, the
cans tend to rather roundish at times.

> As for fried sheep's head, I can only say that I suspect it would depend
> on the presentation. I'm not a big one for food that looks back at me,

Wimp. ;-)

What I once ate a dinner in Oslo (together with a lot of other
traditional stuff, like whale) was smoked jowl of mutton. It looked like
someone had pealed the one side of the sheeps head, and smoked it. Stil
recognicable eyeholes, lips, etc. Fairly nic, but rather on the fat side
for eating more than a little of.

Then there is the Gotland "Lammskalle", which is some form of prepared
sheeps head. Since I have never seen this dish, nor eaten it, I have no
idea how it is prepared. Supposedly you can buy something on the same
order canned on Iceland.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
PGP fingerprint = 76 3B 11 28 79 39 87 C0  DC 4C 1F 4C C0 1F 1E 89
/earth is 98% full. Please remove any excess inhabitants.