SC - RE: Hardly Anyone eats lamb...???

margali margali at 99main.com
Fri Dec 26 10:06:54 PST 1997

>  This, from my studies, appears to have been fairly
> commonplace, as the cattlemen felt that sheep would provide too much
> competition for their cattle in grazing material.  Fact of the matter
> is,
> sheep and cattle can coexist on the same land quite profitably, and
> benefit
> the land when rotated with sheep following cattle.  You see, cattle
> like
> long grasses, whereas sheep like shorter varieties as well as longs
> that
> have been cropped.  Following cattle with sheep will increase
> productivity
> and yield of an acre of grassland several fold by using more of the
> grass
> as well as more varieties.
>
> my .02, Puck

but keep in mind the dentition of the critters in question, cows have
the incisors on the bottom, and they draw the head up when they graze,
which will uproot vegetation. sheep have dentition upper and lower, and
nip the grass off at the ground surface. a better combination is sheep
and goats, goats like to eat the upper level vegetation-shrubs and
suchlike the woad and larger plants, sheep like sedges and grasses. all
in all, sheep and goats are much better in marginal grazing areas, but
people nowdays prefer beef. go figure-i personally adore lamb,
especially whole spring lamb suitably spitted and roasted. there is a
reason i names one of my lambs 'lambchop', and it wasnt because of sheri
lewis!
margali