SC - recipe request

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Sat Dec 27 10:53:04 PST 1997

Puck asks:

If I may trouble the list, I have a friend looking for a recipe for 'acorn
cakes'?  Can't imagine why as acorns are so bitter, but then again so are
hops and you know how we Pucks love our beer!:-)

Also another who is looking for a medieval chocolate cake recipe.  Is
chocolate even period?

I am indeed checking the florilegium, probably as you're reading this, but
thought I'd ask the enlightened masses as well.

In case you didn’t see them, here are the files in the Florilegium that I
think will be of the most interest for this:

chocolate-msg     (32K)  7/15/97    History and description of early chocolate.
nuts-msg          (26K) 10/27/97    Nuts, acorns, nut flours in medieval foods.

No medieval chocolate for Europeans. Not even if you extend that to period,
unless you mean chocolate drink.

As far as acorns go, I’ve heard that much of the bitterness can be removed
by pouring hot water through them, but I haven’t tried this myself. “Food”
by Waverly Root (thanks for pointing me to this book at a great price,
Katharine) says of the acorn: “best eaten indirectly by man, in the form
of pork, though they were consumed directly by the Pre-Columbian North
American Indians who had no pigs.”

Stefan li Rous