SC - Axe murders

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Sun Dec 28 15:30:15 PST 1997

Cariadoc probably knows this better than I (I would expect so) but being
acquitted of a crime does not necessarily mean that you did not perform a
particular deed. As an example, I have known people arrested for trespass
and resisting arrest. The law of trespass hereabouts requires, in effect,
that you ignore a policeman telling you to leave. Said persons stated to
the police that they had not heard the request to leave (this was at a
Uni sit-in) and therefore were not trespassing, but were merely in the
room. Since they did not break in, they could not be charged over how
they got there. Therefore there were no grounds for an arrest, and the
charges of resisting (which they freely admitted they did) were dropped.

Charles