SC - My Profile

Mordonnade Mordonnade at aol.com
Sun Dec 28 17:43:58 PST 1997

<<
 Welcome to the list.
 What you really need t do is find a mason who can build a small brick
 dome with a floor. A good compromise is a miniature Nissen hut (those
 semi-circle things like Gomer Pyle lived in) covered in dirt. Light a
 fire in it, let it burn for a while, then sweep out the coals and put
 your food in to bake. (This is moderately tricky. Sometimes it worked and
 sometimes it didn't quite, and then we lost the oven (and the land it was
 on). But this is how many medieval ovens worked)

Okay, now how do I get the darn thing to War, granted I do only live 15 miles
from Estrella.  My War Wagon is large and sturdy, but I don't think she would
be up to this task.  And I don't think the park officials would appreciate me
building a brick building on site.

hehehe

Actually, I do own a couple of Dutch Ovens, but the way I learned to bake in
them is to bury them on a bed of coals, and all the sites out here frown upon
fires not raised above the ground.

Wonder how well it would work to dig a hole, fill it with coals from a raised
fire, and bake that way?  I'd fill the hole back in later, of course.