SC - brewing/mazing/etc

Par Leijonhufvud pkl at absaroka.obgyn.ks.se
Tue Dec 30 08:46:54 PST 1997

On Tue, 30 Dec 1997, kappler wrote:

> > Even safer / better is to fill the airlock with "spiritous
> > liquor" (I use the same cheap vodka that goes into my tinctures).

> Iv'e been brewing for quite sometime now, and this is the first time I ever
> heard of using spirits in the airlock insted of water.  As the fluid in the
> airlock simply works as a check valve (allows flow in only one direction)

> understand how its "safer/better."  If you could please elaborate, I am
> always looking for "safer/better" ways to brew, but I just doesn't

Not being a brewer I think I can still answer this question. There is a
danger, small but possible, that something will start to grow in the
water in the airlock. OTOH, the likelyhood of sustained growth in 50%
ethanol is rather smaller. Remember that the reason for the airlock in
the first place is to keep nasties out of your brew.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
PGP fingerprint = 76 3B 11 28 79 39 87 C0  DC 4C 1F 4C C0 1F 1E 89
/earth is 98% full. Please remove any excess inhabitants.