SC - brewing/mazing/etc

Crystal A. Isaac crystal at pdr-is.com
Tue Dec 30 10:19:01 PST 1997

What fluid is in the airlock makes a difrrence. If you use unclean water
in the airlock there is a (small) danger that is may be sucked down into
the fermenting mead when the temperature changes or slosh around when
the fermenter is moved. Cheap vodka is clean and sanitary and nothing
will live in it. Cheap vodka does not attract spiders like water does.
(Yes, you will occasionally find a spider in your airlock, don't panic,
just sanitize another one and replace it.)

A good question, m'dear, no need to apologise.

Crystal of the Westermark

kappler wrote:

> > Even safer / better is to fill the airlock with "spiritous
> > liquor" (I use the same cheap vodka that goes into my tinctures).

snip