Warm apple reaction (was: SC - Puff pastry at camping events)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Dec 2 07:29:06 PST 1997

Alderton, Philippa wrote:

> Sounds to me like this is a question for our Super Cooks- Adamantius, Bear,
> Cariodoc, Lord Ras, any ideas? Meanwhile, I'll ask my Biology professor.
>
> phlip at morganco.net

The only thing I can think of that would be likely to cause a reaction
like that would be an increased rate of some chemical's absorbtion.
Maybe the gentleman is allergic to something that is present in both
warm and cold apple products, but absorbed faster by the body when warm.
Fructose, perhaps? Maybe pectin, which probably goes through the
digestive tract faster when warm?

Perhaps the gentleman was savaged, as an infant, by a rogue apple pie ;
) ?

(Sorry about that! I couldn't resist: there's a line in one of the Black
Adder episodes about Lord Percy Percy having a horror of the ocean
because, as an infant, he was savaged by a turbot.)

Adamantius

> ----------
> : > If you are talking about a direct "bounce" I doubt it can be an
> : > allergic
> : > reaction, but rather more likely psychological in origin. Which
> : > doesn't
> : > change anything in your case. If there is a delay then there most
> : > likely
> : > is a physiological origin instead.
> : >
> : > /UlfR
> : >
> : > --
> :
> : it takes 15-30 minutes. I wonder what there is different chemically in
> : freshly cooked apples that diffuses away when chilled?
> : margali
> :
> :
> :