Warm apple reaction (was: SC - Puff pastry at camping events)

Tue Dec 2 13:22:12 PST 1997

Super cook?  Nah, I'm a decent baker with a lot of opinions.

I've never heard of someone having an allergic reaction to apples in the
immediately cooked state, but not in a raw or cooked and coolled state.
I would be tempted to suspect the pectin.

Ask your biology professor, if the act of cooking would accelerate the
hydrolysis of pectin into pectic acid and methanol and if cooling the
cooked material would partially reverse the process.  The catalytic
enzyme in the process is pectinerase.  If what I suspect is correct, the
allergic reaction is to an increased amount of pectic acid or methanol
in the heated product which recombines as the product cools.
Unfortunately, I don't have enough background in organic chemistry or
the available texts to confirm or deny my suspicions.

Bear