SC - beets

Mark Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Wed Dec 3 04:05:30 PST 1997

Lady Beatrix said:

> In the chapter on the vegatable patch, McLean states that
>most vegatables were grown for the 'porray' pot and mostly the leaves
>were used. In fact, she states that root vegetables weren't grown unless
>its leaves were useful in the pot as well.

I wonder what she bases this statement on. If true, then it would certainly
help explain why tomatos and potatos didn't catch on quickly, since their
leaves cannot be eaten. I believe it has been mentioned that both have
leaves which are poisonous?

And might explain onions and turnips. Both of these have leaves that
are eaten, right? What about carrot leaves? Were they eaten?

Can anyone think of any exceptions to McLean's statement?

Stefan li Rous