SC - Re: Oyster Stuff...

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Dec 3 16:56:09 PST 1997

Alderton, Philippa wrote:

> Adamantius,, if oysters aren't good enough to eat raw or barely cooked,
> then they aren't good enough to eat. Period. The Nose Knows.

Will you settle for a semicolon instead of a period? I wasn't referring
to rotten oysters. I was referring to the slightly less marvelous flavor
and texture of oysters that have been shucked and refrigerated, versus
real live oysters freshly shucked. The oysters that come, shucked, in
the little tub, simply aren't as good as their live, fresh from the
shell counterpart. But that doesn't make them bad or unacceptable. Just
not quite as good. They do go into rigor mortis, after all.

So, if confronted with the real McCoy, I'd be likely to prefer them raw,
whereas the shucked pints, which could presumably still be eaten raw
without problems, are better presented in some cooked form (even if only
because there's no shell to hold the juice). The statements made about
how cooked an oyster should get still hold true; I hate overcooked
oysters.

Hmm. My lady wife works right near Grand Central Station. Maybe the
thing to do is meet her at her office and go the the Grand Central
Oyster Bar. The Danish fresh herring festival is long over with, but I
suppose I could manage to make do with a pan roast or six. My son can be
fobbed off with some fried calamari, his own personal vice. Life is
hard, isn't it? ;  )

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at asan.com