SC - Re: SC Oysters getting way OT

Woeller D angeliq1 at erols.com
Thu Dec 4 13:05:57 PST 1997

Decker, Terry D. wrote:

> >Phlip said about 2 dozen oysters in a pint. For USD$4! Now that's worthwhile.
> >
> >The nice thing about Australia is that _nearly_ everyone (90%) lives near
> >the coast. On the other hand there are 'farm oysters'. This little
> >delicacy, described by Roald Dahl in _My Uncle Oswald_ comes in pairs,
> >two to each male lamb. I have never actually eaten them, (I grew up, like
> >60% of Aussies, in one of the 5 big cities) but friends who have said
> >they are superb. (Although they never knew what they were)
> >
> >Charles
>
> Commonly called lamb fries in Oklahoma.  Rocky Mountain oysters are the
> by-product of converting bulls to steers and I don't know if the term is
> applied to the same by-product of lamb.  Not bad, but I prefer calves
> liver.
>
> Bear

Ok, here's my Rocky Mountain Oyster (Horror) story (No, the 'Time Warp'
does NOT figure in, here).:) When I was a child, I went with my mother
to visit at a friends' farm for the weekend.  One morning when we were
getting ready to go down for breakfast, my friend pulled me aside and
explained that we were having RMOs with breakfast, and what they were,
so that I would not be a target for teasing and embarassment by the
older, more 'sophisticated' diners at the table. I was never the
squeamish type, so I felt ready for any barbs thrown at me. Sure enough,
it was my mother who tried to rattle me when she asked, "Do you like
your breakfast?  Do you know where it came from?"  I smiled at her and
explained, very calmly and matter-of-factly, exactly how the RMOs were
acquired. I was very proud at the stunned and slightly sickened
expression on my mother's face, at my descriptive demonstration of
knowledge.  Just as I was settling into my smug satisfaction, my
friend's older brother piped in " And since you know where the RMOs came
from, what can you tell us about the sausage we had yesterday?"
I was green all morning, even after my friend explained that sausages
were made, not removed...
Hugs & Pinches
Angelique