SC - hot pepper oil-remady

Chanda Shaffer leanche at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 7 11:37:36 PST 1997

>Anybody have any good ideas for getting hot pepper oil off my hands? I
was
>crushing some Thai peppers for lunch, and although I've washed with
>detergent and hot water twice, I'm still burning myself every time I
forget
>and touch myself in the face.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Phlip,
>Who believes that when you're hot, you're hot,
>But at the moment would rather not.

Try milk.  soak your hands and any other utensils that may have absorbed
the oils ( cutting board, counter, knife handle) in milk.  make sure to
get the milk under your fingernails as well.  It is the same principle
as eating spicy foods with sour cream on it.   I believe it is the
lactose in the dairy products which dissipates the capsaicin in the
peppers but don't quote me on it.
    You can also try latex gloves to keep the oils away from your skin
in the first place, but i prefer the milk method because  I am allergic
to latex and think it leaves a taste on foods.
     Good Luck
            Ivy~