SC - Re: Testicles

Fri Dec 5 14:42:40 PST 1997

<deleted>
> For larger animals like steer,
>you won't find testicles because they have been removed in a different
>way, before slaughter, and are effectively destroyed. But then I doubt
>there's much of a culinary market for testicles you have to carve to
>serve, anyway.
>
>Adamantius
>Phil & Susan Troy
>troy at asan.com

Unless they've changed the process in the last twenty-five years,
castration is done while the steer is still a calf.  Castration and
branding were done at the same time.  It was a fairly common practice to
throw the testicles in a skillet by the fire as snacks for the crew.
The collection process doesn't meet FDA standards for processing meat,
so I doubt you'll see many bovine testicles on the market.

Bear