SC - Re: Testicles

Philip & Susan Troy troy at spambegone.asan.com
Mon Dec 8 06:51:57 PST 1997

Decker, Terry D. wrote:

> Unless they've changed the process in the last twenty-five years,
> castration is done while the steer is still a calf.  Castration and
> branding were done at the same time.  It was a fairly common practice to
> throw the testicles in a skillet by the fire as snacks for the crew.
> The collection process doesn't meet FDA standards for processing meat,
> so I doubt you'll see many bovine testicles on the market.

Well, yes, they'd have to be removed while still a calf. Good point.
However, I'd understood that a supposedly more "humane" method was
becoming widely used, which involves, essentially, putting a
constricting rubber band around the offending cojones (sp?). This
apparently interrupts blood flow to/from the area, causing it to more or
less dry up and drop off.

NOW, I'm instinctively leaning protectively forward, shielding body
parts...sure sounds humane to me ;  ) !!!

Adamantius
Phil & Susan Troy
troy at spambegone.asan.com

Sentient beings should remove the "spambegone." portion of our address
before replying.