SC - Galette de Dame Carcas

Mon Dec 8 20:52:08 PST 1997

When Charlemange laid siege to the city of Carcassonne, Dame Carcas
tricked him into lifting the siege of the starving city by stuffing a
pig with the last of the wheat in the city's granary and throwing the
fat animal off the battlements.  Believing he was being taunted by a
well provisioned fortress, Charlemange moved his army on to more
profitable endeavors.  Her reward is a galette named for her.

For my version, I used 3 tablespoons of dried orange peel, softened in
water and chopped fine.  And canned orange juice.  I also used a baking
stone rather than a baking sheet.

The result was a little drier than I would like, so I will probably test
the loaf by thumping it on the bottom at 20 minutes rather than 25.

Bear

                          Galette de Dame Carcas

- --------  ------------  --------------------------------
                        Finely grated zeste or peel of 2 oranges
   1      tablespoon    orange juice
   2      teaspoons     dry yeast
   2      tablespoons   warm water (105 - 110 F)
   2 1/2  cups          all purpose flour
     1/2  cup           sugar
     1/2  teaspoon      salt
   6                    egg yolks (room temperature)
   4      oz            butter (room temperature)

   1                    egg
   1      tablespoon    milk

Place finely grated orange peel in a cup and add the orange juice.  Set
aside.

Dissolve yeast in 2 tablespoon of warm water (105 - 110 degrees F).
Blend 1 cup flour, sugar and salt in a bowl.  Make a well in the dry
mixture and pour in yeast mixture.
Separate egg yolks and add to the mixture one at a time.  Stir after
adding each yolk, pulling flour from the sides of the bowl into the
mixture.
The result will be a heavy batter

Divide the butter into small pieces and drop them into the batter.
Blend the mixture with twenty strokes of a wooden spoon or rubber
scraper.
Add the orange peel and juice.
Add enough flour to form a ball which can be lifted from the bowl.

Knead for about 5 minutes on a lightly dusted surface.  The fat content
of the dough will keep it from sticking.  The flour is to keep excess
butterfat from the surface. DO NOT OVER FLOUR.
The dough should be soft and elastic, yet able to hold its shape for 2
to 3 minutes on the work surface.

Cover the ball of dough with a bowl and let it rise for 30 minutes.
Press the dough into a circle about 1 inch thick.  This recipe will make
1 loaf about 9 inches in diameter or 2 loaves 6 inches in diameter.
Place the loaves on an ungreased baking sheet, cover with wax paper and
let rise for 45 minutes.
Mix egg and milk.  Brush onto the galette.  Pierce dough half a dozen
times with pick or skewer.
Bake 25 minutes in preheated oven at 400 degrees F.
Cool galette on a metal rack.