SC - Why "Request for documentation" is a bad subject title

Par Leijonhufvud pkl at absaroka.obgyn.ks.se
Wed Dec 10 11:12:20 PST 1997

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997, david friedman wrote:

> I don't think the problem is only with usage. If what you are requesting is
> documentation, that means you already have something to document. If what
> you are looking for is "a period recipe for turnips," you aren't asking for
> documentation but for a recipe--and possibly documentation attached.

Not necessarily.

Imagine the situation that you've been given a recipe (e.g. by the
autocrat) with no documentation (or useless documentation)  but with
assurances that it _is_ period. Then a fully valid question is:  "Can
anyone document this dish?".  This is -- as we all know -- distinct from
the all too common "I like potatoes; can anyone give me documentation
for their use in Viking age Scandinavia?".  The difference is in the
intent.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
PGP fingerprint = 76 3B 11 28 79 39 87 C0  DC 4C 1F 4C C0 1F 1E 89
Oh, *practice*. I don't mind *practicing*. So long as we don't have to
do it for real.  -- Terry Pratchett