SC - Re: Natural History of the N

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Dec 11 11:37:30 PST 1997

At 9:00 AM -0800 12/11/97, Marisa Herzog wrote:
>                      RE>Natural History of the Nauga (was Re:Š    12/11/97
>
><snip>
>Consider an animal whose skin is cheaply available, and comes in long
>rectangular pieces with no visible legs or arms. What is the obvious
>explanation?
>David/Cariadoc
>http://www.best.com/~ddfr/
><snip>
>
>But see Nauga is just a modern mis-spelling of Naga, which are were-snakes (or
>alternately half-human/half-snake).  Hence the pieces of hide which are
>perfectly square and have no arms and legs.  They also appear to have that
>ability which has been falsely attributed to worms and salamandars of being
>able to heal into two functional critters when chopped in half.  Hence the hi
>availability of Naga-hide, while the creature itself is now very rare in the
>wild.

My thanks for the etymology of which I was unaware.

I think your explanation for the ready availability is unnecessarily
exotic. Snakes, after all, shed their skins from time to time. The reason
naugahide is so cheap is that you don't have to kill the nauga, just
harvest the skin when shed.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/