SC - Vegemite, instant trifle & birthdays

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Thu Dec 11 14:15:14 PST 1997

I have eaten the steaknkidney pie in a can. It really is dog food,
just relabelled.

Once upon a time I went to a school called timbertop, where they send you
out hiking in groups of 5 or 6 14 year olds each weekend. And they give
you wonderfully appropriate food, like tins of baked beans, raw sausages
(the kind that ooze everywhere even before you try cooking them) and the
abovementioned. With instant tomato soup, pepper, salt, onions, bits of
fried sausage and hunger it can be made into something a little less
revolting. But that's about as good as it gets. On the other hand, it is
still in every supermarket.

No wonder kids grow up with a pathological fear of S+K.

Eggs are good in pizzas, but they are not fried first. You just crack it
over the pizza before you put it in the oven (It's one of the ingredients
of an 'Aussie' pizza.

And Australia is where they make real hamburgers - meat, lettuce, tomato,
onion, cheese, beetroot, fried egg, bacon and a slice of pineapple.
(Although I can live without the pineapple)

mmmmm foood. I think I'm going to get some breakfast - see youse soon

Charles Ragnar