SC - Egg on pizza?

Tyrca Tyrca at aol.com
Fri Dec 12 17:53:17 PST 1997

<<
 FWIW:
 Friends of mine who have actually eaten Neapolitan pizza in Napoli
 report that it is often served "to go", on a piece of parchment paper.
 When you eat it on the premises, though, you generally get a little bowl
 of salad and a hardboiled egg, on the side. This could be the origin...

 Adamantius
 ________________ >>

No, I haven't read all my mail, but this one caught my eye.  About 12 years
ago, I was living in Brazil, and had an occasion to go to a pizza parlor.  I
witnessed many strange variations of pizza, for one thing, they do not put
tomato sauce under everything, they use olive oil.  So the restaurant provides
catsup for those who want a tomato sauce.  Also, the choice of toppings was a
little strange.  If you ordered the standard Combination pizza, it came with 3
or 4 fried eggs on top.  I have not investigated, but I think that this
phenomena is from an influence of either Porteguese or Italian cooking.  It
seems like the Porteguese put either fried or boiled eggs on lots of things.

Tyrca