SC - Thoughts...

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sun Dec 14 11:52:18 PST 1997

At 11:01 PM -0800 12/13/97, S.Albert wrote:
>I'd consider picking some recipes that could be made or put together on the
>spot to introduce the potential cooks to the concept first. Then maybe
>planning the next months' menus at the current potluck meeting (you'd have
>to come armed with ideas and a variety of recipes to choose from) and
>handing out recipes that could be made ahead to those interested in trying
>them.

In my experience, part of the fun of a cooking workshop is a kitchen with
lots of people doing different things, talking, socializing, speculating as
to how to interpret the recipe, etc. So rather than picking recipes that
can be made ahead of time, allow four or five hours for your workshop (we
generally do ours on a weekend, starting about 1:00).

Also, that way it only takes one or two people to do the planning. You go
through your original cookbooks, select a number of interesting sounding
recipes equal to the number of people who have told you they are coming,
with some reasonable balance of types, type the original into your
computer, print out one copy of each recipe. When people arrive, you hand
them the stack of recipes and have them pick one. Record everything you do
in excruciating detail, since part of the objective is to produce a
reproducible result. Critique the result, enter how it was done and
comments for the next try into the computer, and repeat next month.

We try to make sure that people who have not worked from original recipes
before get one that hasn't been done before, and any retries to improve a
worked out recipe are done by the more experience cooks--since part of the
point of the exercise is to show people that they really can cook from the
originals.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/