SC - Barm Revisited

Mon Dec 15 12:22:32 PST 1997

After five weeks of it sitting in my refrigerator, I decided to test how
my yeast barm was doing.

I made two loaves of bread, one using a teaspoon of dry active yeast,
the other using one ounce of thoroughly agitated barm.  I made the
loaves in the following manner:

1 cup of warm water (105 - 110 degrees F)
Add the yeast to the water and let rest for fifteen minutes
Mix 2 teaspoons of salt into 1 cup of all purpose flour and add to the
yeast
Add enough flour to make elastic bread dough
Let rise until doubled, then shape and allow to rise in the bread tin
until doubled
Bake a 425 degrees F for 40 minutes

The dry yeast required 2 cups of flour.  The barm required 2 1/2 cups of
flour.
On the first rise, the dry yeast took 2 hours, the barm 3 1/2 hours.
On the second rise, the dry yeast took 1 1/2 hours, the barm took 2
hours.
The barm loaf had slightly better flavor and texture, probably
attributable to the longer rise times.

Bear