SC - Seven deadly sins & spices

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Mon Dec 15 10:33:32 PST 1997

At one time, I was curious about aphrodesiacs, and I found most of them
seemed to share certain physical characteristics with human genitalia, ie
penis or breast or testicle shaped or coloured. Oysters, cattots,
cucumbers, rhinocerous horns, ginseng, mandrake and tomatoes all fall in
this catagory. Others were actual body parts from animals perceived as
being very fecund or virile such as snakes, bulls, rabbits, and the like.
Chocolate is a more human /societal aphrodesiac in that its rarity made it
a common courtship gift, as in "see how much I'm spending on you because I
value you so much and incidently will make a good providor" kind of thing-
some birds gift their would-be mates with food for the same purpose. Roses
are often given for the same purpose- plant genitalia similar to the female
vulva, of a "passionate" color, and with the additional irony of thorns.
Perhaps adding some candied red rose petals to your concoction might be
appropriate? The other catagory of aphrodesiacs is dangerous- "Spanish
fly", for example, causes an inflamation of the urogenital system which
could be mistaken for lust by the uninitiated.

As for Sloth, I would be tempted to make a sublety of a sloth with spun
sugar as its fur. If done properly, it could appear to be hanging upside
down from a tree limb while actually being supported from below. Alys-
Katherine, you're good at this sort of thing. How would YOU do it?

phlip at morganco.net

Never a horse that cain't be rode,

- ----------
: Hi,
:
: I am grateful for the suggestions that I have recieved so far..but would
: still need some help with Sloth , Pride and Envy.
:
: As my friends (This is no SCA event or even strongly medieval themed -
: though I wish to push it in that direction) would not fully appricate the
: medieval subtleties I chose choclate for Lust, as it is a said
: aphrodisiac.
:
: But  an intersting thought was risen in the call for aphrodisiacs....what
: about other herbs and spices..are they connected to human charcterisitcs
: and traits..
:
: Would there be a spice that was said to provoke anger....or at least make
: a person more coleric...and the opposite
:
: If you know about an article or book about such notions during mediaval
: times,  or indeed ancient Roman ort Greek ideas, please send me a
: reference.
:
: I know the romans had some ideas about the properties of spices and herbs,
: can't just remeber  what at the moment
:
:
: Daniel Serra
: