SC - Jewish Cooking (Poison Pen Press?)

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Tue Dec 16 17:04:28 PST 1997

Charles Ragnar wrote:

>I would be interested in serving the 400 or so people a jewish
>meal as one of the lunches or dinners. So if anybody can point me in
>the direction of Jewish Medieval cooking knowledge, I would be very
>appreciative. (This is in 18 months, so I can have a full scale
>attempt at redaction and road-testing plenty of stuff)

You might try a copy of _Eat and Be Satisfied_, A Social History of
Jewish Food by John Cooper, 1993, Jason Aronson, Inc.  ISBN is
0-87668-316-2.  It does not have recipes but it does list various
foods.  Sample chapter headings are "Traditional Jewish Food in the
Middle Ages" (divided into Italy, Germany, France; and the Islamic
World), "Sabbath and Festival Food in the Middle Ages" (including meat
consumption), material on the Spanish Jews, the Dutch and Portuguese
Jews.  I think the other chapters deal with later time periods.  Seems
to me I got my copy from Poison Pen Press.  Devra (I think) frequents
this list.

If you can find a copy of this book I think it will give you some good
documentation even if you need to use a modern recipe of a similar
name.

Alys Katharine