SC - re: pre-1500 cookery

Par Leijonhufvud pkl at absaroka.obgyn.ks.se
Tue Dec 16 22:59:56 PST 1997

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> Ras, my personal interest is in medieval Normans - up to about 1200. My
> cooking tends to spill beyond that a bit, as availability of actual
> recipes is prett poor. On the other hand there is actually a reasonable

Try Viking age Scandinavia. There are some mentions in the Edda (in
Rigsthula (sp?) to be exact), but AFAIK no actual recipes. Some info on
what was eaten (mainly from finds and English documents. But apart from
that only a few analyzed breads and porridge from archaeological
material. The sagas mention some things, but since they where written
much later they are, at best, secondary sources.

How does others with similar constraints handle the issue? Cook later
medieval food, as being the closest available, or invent based on what
is known?

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
PGP fingerprint = 76 3B 11 28 79 39 87 C0  DC 4C 1F 4C C0 1F 1E 89
Oh, *practice*. I don't mind *practicing*. So long as we don't have to
do it for real.  -- Terry Pratchett