SC - Re: Skirrits/Scyrrets/Skyrwittes

L Herr-Gelatt and J R Gelatt liontamr at ptd.net
Wed Dec 17 08:43:20 PST 1997

Aoife Wrote:
>>It features carrots in place of scyrrets
>>(a white, sweet, carrot-type vegetable) , and parsnips...
>
>and again:
>
>>We chose carrots for flavor and color, Scyrets (a white root resembling the
>>shape and flavor of carrots) not being available. Besides, that makes the
>>tarte red and white!

>And Dame Elizabeth wrote:
>We have never been able to find skirrets. According to the Oxford English
>Dictionary they are "a species of water parsnip, formerly much cultivated
>in Europe for its esculent tubers." Have you ever tasted them? Or do you
>know where one can find them or get more information on them? We have a
>recipe for turnip potage which says you can also make it with "pastunakes
>and skyrwittes", pasternakes being a general term for carrots or parsnips,
>and I would like to try it with the skirrets if I can ever get some.
>
>Elizabeth/Betty Cook (about a week behind on the list)

I have never tasted them, although I did have a discussion about them
electronically with someone from the rec.food.historic list (I believe---it
was quite some time ago. It may even have been your esteemed husband).
Apparently they do grow wild, at least in the British Isles. Apparently they
are no longer used as food. The species does still exist, according to the
information I received. I do not know if it is still called the same or
something similar, but I have an address for an English Horticultural
Company that specializes in unique/rare/old plants. They may be a good
starting point:

Suffolk Herbs
Monks Farm
Kelvedon,
Essex CO5 9PG
UK

These folks sell what they produce. I have a packet of Dyer's Woad seed in
front of me from the Chelsea Flower Show, which gives the above address.

I hope that is of some help to you. I never thought of doing a net search on
the spelling variations, or for English/European Horticultural
suppliers/retailers, but I suppose it could turn up something interesting!
Perhaps I will give this a try when I have a few spare moments (after X-mas,
for instance).

Aoife