SC - Tanur/tandoori breads: was - eggplant follow-up

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Dec 18 04:44:17 PST 1997

david friedman wrote:

> I've seen, in Iran, flat bread made by slapping the dough onto the inside
> side of the oven.
>
> David/Cariadoc
> http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

I believe that would be an import from the time Persia and India were
part of the same empire. (Or vice versa: I used to know this, but don't
recall offhand.) Yes, they still use the tanur in Persia; I negelected
to mention that. This is known as a tandoor, in India, of course.

The bread puffs up and/or peels away from the side of the oven as it
cooks: the trick is to reach in with an iron hook and catch it just
before it falls onto the coals.

What I find fascinating is the fact that the traditional method of
applying the bread dough, a sort of pillow on a wooden board with a
handle, is not too dissimilar to the method that was used in Northern
England until the early 20th century to "throw" havercake (oatcake)
batter into the oven.

IIRC, there's an article from PPC several years ago on this.

Adamantius
troy at asan.com