SC - Cossacks, Mongols, and Huns..Oh My!

Karen Lyons-McGann dvkld.dev at mhs.unc.edu
Thu Dec 18 06:23:20 PST 1997

> Conchobar says:
>         Ok, I foolishly agreed to make a soup/stew for our event in
March.

> Me too!   It's the first time I've volunteered for such a thing.  The
> title of the event is "Cossaks, Mongols & Huns" and I don't have to
stick
> to the theme, but it would be nice.  Anyone have an idea what Cossaks,
> Mongols or Huns ate?

Now. The Mongols, on the other hand...

Distantly related (because modern) is a method my brother-in-law, who
travelled to Outer Mongolia last summer, and made a video recording of

They built a big bonfire, heating smooth riverbed rocks in it until they
glowed. The added the rocks, and rather minimally seasoned chunks of
freshly killed, skinned, and butchered lamb or kid, to a large milk can,
with a clamping lid, and sealed it shut. They then played a version of
soccer with the can for ten minutes or so. Maybe more like five.
Adamantius

Well!  The organizers were also looking for unique "fighting" events.
How do you think knights would feel about  this?!

How well do you think a lamb/kid stew would sell?  I've eaten both and
liked it, but hardly anyone eats lamb, and I don't think you can even by
kid around here.  Everyone would think it smelled and tasted odd and I
couldn't sell any. This is one of the things that makes people say
"period food is yucky" because they aren't familiar with it.  But, you
said they ate it with flat bread? That's useful to know.

Thank you also to the other respondents, somebody at the Univesity
library is going to have fun helping me get the books you mentioned.

Anne

[Adamantius, are you from 'round here?  you got the complete name of the
event right!)