SC - Lamb!!! (and kids)

Charles McCathieNevile charlesn at sunrise.srl.rmit.edu.au
Thu Dec 18 18:32:21 PST 1997

Somebody said
'hardly anyone eats lamb'

Really? Australia 'lives on the sheep's back', so the Australian Sunday
roast is lamb. (And the BBQ chops, and the roast rack of lamb, and the
lamb rogan josh, and the kebabs, and the souvlaki)

But I don't think there is much of it in (non-'Indian') asian fare,
although goat is reasonably popular. For some reason we don't eat much
mutton - most butchers need to be warned in advance so they can get it.

But the basis of many of our feasts is something roasted on a spit. A cow
is too big, and pork is expensive. Deer is a bit hard for some people to
come at, but a sheep(lamb) or a goat is the one which everyone is happy with.

How does this compare around the globe (or even around others in australia?)

Charles Ragnar