SC - pre-1500 cookery

Fri Dec 19 09:08:27 PST 1997

>I have never thought that any of your feasts were deadly.  On the contrary!!
>But I have begun to wonder why it is that so many of our feasts focus on
>chicken.  I realize that we are working on budgets and such, but there are
>times that I tire of the ever-present domestic bird,  and long for a nice
>pork
>roast, or hassenpfeffer.  Anything but chicken.
>
>(back to the rock.  I am starting to cool off !  got to get back to the hot
>tub and see if anyone brought baclava!)
>
>Tyrca

$.79 per pound compared to $1.99 per pound.  The ubiquiteous bird is
about the cheapest meat available.  I often serve one course with beef
and one course with chicken and when I could get whiting inexpensively,
a third with fish.

Second or Third Protectorate, we had a whole roast pig and some mild
cases of food poisoning, so pork is something I approach with caution,
as most of the feast I've done are sans decent kitchen (the one time I
had a commercial kitchen, I lost 4 ovens and nearly lost the feast).

I may try pork and lamb in the future, but I'll need to do some work
with extenders, so the meat doesn't turn into a budget buster.

Bear

PS  Remind me to tell you about the Protectorate with the portable hot
tub.