SC - Lamb!!! (and kids)

Par Leijonhufvud pkl at absaroka.obgyn.ks.se
Sun Dec 21 22:04:53 PST 1997

On Sun, 21 Dec 1997, Karen Lyons-McGann wrote:

> eventually meat that preserves well.  OK, I guess all meats preserve
> equally well, but I've never heard smoked, pickled  or salted mutton
> being sold in any volume during the modern era or earlier.

Smoked leg of mutton. BIG item over here, at least during Christmas when
it is traditional. Also available are some susages based on sheep.

> Admittedly,  I'm thinking of traditional farms where every animal had to
> earn their keep.  There may well be factory farms these days that somehow
> produce lamb year round in enough quantity to make a profit without
> needing to go to the trouble of  the shearing process after the
> additional effort of making sure the wool ends up a good enough quality
> to sell.  And I am definately speaking from a non-sheep culture.  Once

But sheep can thrive under conditions where pigs will not. I have a hard
time imagining free-range pigs on Iceland. Australia is still, AFAIK, a
place where it is cheep to have large acreage of marginal land, and
sheep is an animal that does reasonably well under those conditions.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                  par.leijonhufvud at labtek.ki.se
PGP fingerprint = 76 3B 11 28 79 39 87 C0  DC 4C 1F 4C C0 1F 1E 89
/earth is 98% full. Please remove any excess inhabitants.