SC - plant grafting

LrdRas LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Dec 23 19:52:03 PST 1997

<< With four
 hundred years of additional breeding though, I imagine the current
 grapes now would differ from their medieval ancesters even without the
 grafting.  >>

This is not true. Many grape varieties that exist now are the exact same
varieties that grew and produced wine in Medieval Europe. Pinot Grigio,
Cabernet Blanc, most of the Rhone wime varieties and not a few of the Italian
varieties are the same. Grapes are not, for the most part "bred" they are
propogated by grafting stock. I can have a list of most of the extant
varieties that are still widely cultivated and used today that are the same as
those used in the Middle Ages. I will post this info within a week if there is
interest.

The breeding of grapes varieties is a minor sideline in both horticulture and
agriculture and is being pursued most vigorously  on the East Coast of the USA
almst exclusively. IMHO, we moderns sometimes let our ego get in the way and
assume that we have perfected just about everything. Not true. There are many
elements of agriculture, engineering and other fields of study that have shown
no major improvements during the modern era and in some cases, we have
degenerated. particularly in fruist and vegetable varieties , loosing  much of
flavor in exchange for portability of the product. This is glaringly apparent
in modern apples of which there are few varieties commercially available that
have any pronounced flavor or complexity of flavors. Thank Goddess that those
involved in the wine industry have not tried to fix what has not been broken.

<off soap box> :-)

Ras