SC - My Profile

Mon Dec 29 06:35:41 PST 1997

>From: 	Mordonnade[SMTP:Mordonnade at aol.com]
>
>Actually, I do own a couple of Dutch Ovens, but the way I learned to bake in
>them is to bury them on a bed of coals, and all the sites out here frown upon
>fires not raised above the ground.
>
>Wonder how well it would work to dig a hole, fill it with coals from a raised
>fire, and bake that way?  I'd fill the hole back in later, of course.

That should work just fine.

If you have to bake on a raised fire, try to get a good bed of coals,
then put more coals on the lid of the Dutch oven (if you can).

Technically, you should be able to bake on almost any heat source with a
Dutch oven.  If I were baking on a stove or similar heat source, I would
use a wire rack inside the Dutch oven and bake in tins to reduce the
chance of scorching the bake goods.

Bear